Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Winter of Our Discontent

It's snowing.  Again.  This winter is a metaphor for my life right now.


Until this year I never really understood when people said that an entire year had sucked.  "2013 was the worst year ever"--it didn't compute, because every year has good and bad and an entire year can't be constantly terrible.  But this winter, we've had more bad than good to the point where I can't even really remember the good parts.  Some of the bad stuff was major, some was minor, but overall 2014 has just beaten me down.  I can't recall ever feeling quite this defeated. 

It's not just the weather either--although this has been the coldest winter we've had since we lived in D.C.  It's just that I feel like in all aspects of life right now, I can't catch a break.  All winter long, just when I think we're over the hump and nothing else bad can happen, something does. 

This winter we've had more sickness than in the last three years combined.  We've had 11 snow days in the schools, pushing our last day of school back pretty much to the end of June.  And we've had I-don't-even-know-how-many delayed openings on top of the cancellations.  We've had surgery.  We've had major issues with both Matt's and my car, costing us more money than I care to think about.  We've had some fairly serious issues with the kids' school.  Taken alone, none of these things would be all that bad, but back-to-back-to-back all winter long, they combine to just make me feel tired and kind of hopeless. It's simply not been a good stretch for us.

But Spring is coming, I know it.  It has to happen eventually, and as long as I just hold on and take this winter one day at a time, the thaw will come.  Shaking my fists at the sky hasn't made anything better, so I just have to duck my head and keep trudging forward, until finally I'll look up and see the sun shining.  It will happen.

Each day, as I struggle to get the motivation to be positive, I remind myself that we've weathered each storm and come out the end, and that in itself is a victory.  There have been happy moments and good days and even whole weeks where nothing major went wrong.  People certainly have it worse than we do.  When I feel defeated, I remind myself to keep calm, look around at what I DO have, and remember how lucky I am.  Some days that works.  Other days, it's a bigger struggle. 

But Spring IS coming. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel the same way over here -- we've had our share of life piling up on us this winter and it feels compounded by the fact that we just can't get any separation from the kids in order to get **anything** done. I know you're not supposed to say stuff like this but they need to take their asses to school for a few uninterrupted monday-friday stretches because grownup-ville doesn't just get cancelled when there's a few snowflakes outside. And having some decent weather so that they can go play outside on the weekends and "run it off" will be a very very very welcome change.

Jessica @ Little Nesting Doll said...

A-freaking-men, Anonymous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin It!